Zeit-Talks studio setup

Welcome to the Zeit-Talks studio! :slight_smile: Here we conduct interviews, host presentations, casually talk about the Zeitgeist train of thought, and comment on current developments in the world. Some of these talks may be in Dutch.

We conduct these talks via our own Jitsi server and stream them live on our YouTube channel. These Zeit-Talks are published in our YouTube playlist.

If you want to leave suggestions for the next show, then please let us know in the comments in this thread or on YouTube.

Update/todo: For now we don’t have enough resources to directly stream or record the online sessions. However, we don’t have to. We could setup Jibri on a different system, like my laptop or PC at home. The problem with Jibri on the server itself is that it doesn’t have enough CPU cores to process the frames with ffmpeg. Because of that it stacks frames in memory, causing a fillup of all RAM and eventually crashes. This problem won’t happen with systems with more than 4 cores and more than 4GB of RAM. Running Jibri on a separate system won’t cause issues, since the Jibri system will be just a hidden participant that records the session. So it could be hosted anywhere, just like the clients connect from anywhere. I’ll test this later this year, but since @Serf is on a TZM break I won’t prioritize this. Since he’s the co-host of these events :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Created a topic in the Jitsi community, but no documentation seems to exist for this setup. But I’ll check it out later on and update this thread with my troubleshooting and such.

1 Like

An addition to this project, podcast version: Zeit-Talks | Podcast on Spotify

The episodes will be uploaded as audio-only to Spotify and platforms like that. And on YouTube it will be audio+visual.

This will be a 2022 Q3 project I guess. I’m too busy with other TZM and non-TZM projects at the moment :slight_smile:

Configured web sockets now rather than using XMPP for signaling. This should improve performance, especially when in larger groups. This was also required by the latest releases.

1 Like

Since Jitsi is only used by the @chapter_netherlands, and the Zeit-talks videos most likely won’t use Jitsi, since it won’t be interactive on such a level. At least how I envision it now. So I’ll close this issue.

Also, this means that jitsi as a self-hosted service will be phased out this year. We will then just use the public Jitsi service on the forum. So not much will change, other than we will not host Jitsi ourselves anymore.

This will also put less stress on the server. So I’ll downgrade the VPS tier as well, which will cut costs in half. Making the future of the forum also more financially more sustainable.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.