Recent forum changes

Created 2 new badges, one for when you join a team and one for when you join a chapter. This helps to identify the involvement of someone on the forum.

Also replaced Google as a search option with DuckDuckGo via a custom theme component. This Google search pops up as an option if the internal search doesn’t have any result. DDG is more in line with the ethics of our movement.

And added 2 more tags, one for a #lecture and one for an #interview (the custom logos for some reason don’t work for these tags, filed a bug report) - these tags are also automatically added if the text contains these words. I predict that this most of the time will go fine, if not, I can change this of course.

For some months the new Discourse sidebar has been tested on meta.discourse.org. In a recent Discourse release this also became available as an experimental option to enable. It’s still labeled as experimental, however, it has matured. So as an experiment, I’ve enabled it now.

Read more about it here.

Hopefully the new theme (Focused Sidebar) that comes with this will be released soon as well.

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

User status is now also included :tada:

1 Like

Installed the latest updates, see the changes below:

Cool new open web standard supported, quick replies for chats.

Installed new update with security fixes.

Updated the forum to the latest security patch level + new features and bug fixes:

In quick succession, another security update with a few more fixes and features.

New update installed, check below for the new features. Some of them were already in use by us, such as the new sidebar.

In quick succession, a security fix was released today and it’s installed with some new features as well.

1 Like

Another update installed with new features and fixes!

1 Like

I’ve installed an experimental, but official theme component. It gives a new redesign of the user cards. If you notice any issues, please report it here:

1 Like

Installed latest release, more info below.

Not really a forum change, but did cause some temporary downtime of 3 minutes. Updated to the latest Debian point release.

https://www.debian.org/News/2023/20230429

At Discourse, we have been eager to adopt YJIT ever since Shopify’s Ruby on Rails Infrastructure team declared it production-ready. After witnessing promising local benchmarks, we began running our production Rails applications with Ruby 3.2’s YJIT enabled on selected clusters in early May 2023. We then spent some time measuring its real-world performance. We are excited to share the positive results we observed. Based on these findings, we have now enabled YJIT across all of our hosting, and self-hosters can opt-in to do the same.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.discourse.org/2023/05/running-ruby-3-2s-yjit-in-production-at-discourse/