Mark Zuckerberg Speech on UBI, workforce displacement and Automation | 2017

Our generation is going to deal with tens of millions of jobs replaced by automation, like self driving cars and trucks.
But we have the potential to do so much more than that.
There is something wrong with our system, when I can leave here and make billions of dollars in 10 years, while millions of students can’t even afford to pay off their loans, let alone start a business.
If I had to support my familly growing up instead of having the time to learn how to code, if I didn’t know that I was going to be fine, if facebook didn’t work out, then I wouldn’t be standing up here today.
And if we’re honest, we all know how much luck we’ve had to get to this point in our lives.
And now, it’s time for our generation to define a new social contract
We should have a society that measures progress not just by economic metrics like GDP, but by how many of use have a role we find meaningful.
We should explore ideas like universal basic income, to make sure that everyone has a cushion to try new ideas.
And we’re all going to to make mistakes.
So we need a society that’s less focused on locking us up, and stigmatizing us when we do.
And as our technology keeps on evolving, we need a society that is more focused on providing continous education through our lives.
And yes, giving everyone freedom to pursue purpose isn’t going to be free. People like me should pay for it.
And a lot of you are going to do very well and you should too.

Sign for Unconditional Basic Income

Found the original footage from the Harvard Commencement 2017.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.