AI Convention: stronger protection of fundamental rights is necessary

Technology should indeed be used for the betterment of humanity.

1 Like

It seems to me a very necessary proposal. :smiley:

I hope that within the fundamental rights they do not try to include this fragment of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

“Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author.”

Within the current system, that is nothing other than copyright protection.

1 Like

I don’t think they will include that, I suppose this is more like a paper protection against what we see in China; social credit system based on AI.

The EDPS is of the opinion that AI systems that pose unacceptable risks to individuals should be prohibited. More specifically, the use of AI for: the social scoring of individuals; biometric identification of individuals in publically accessible spaces; the categorisation of individuals on the basis of their biometric data (e.g. their ethnicity); the categorisation of individuals according to their perceived emotions, should be prohibited by default. AI systems that affect individuals’ rights to human dignity in general should also be prohibited. These conditions should also be explicitly included in the negotiating directives.

Of course, but the phrase “AI systems that affect individuals’ rights to human dignity in general should also be prohibited” can lend itself to other interpretations. Perhaps I am very used to the fact that where I live (Argentina) these types of reforms that at first seem made to protect the population, in the “fine print” end up limiting our rights. :man_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

No corruption is everywhere. I hope you’re wrong though, but it is indeed necessary to be alert.